The students are generally unaware and unexposed to the career options and the proper need of the Job market in IT industry. Students often get misleading options or suggestions from the people around them. Many a times, some-one working in IT company may also provide misleading information or career path.
So leave it to the leader in recruitments & training to guide you, because it’s not always necessary that a person working in IT industry may possess all information about the latest career trends in the industry.
What is a “Trained Fresher” & what are its benefits?
A “Trained Fresher” who would have already undergone corporate-modeled training on technologies & corporate working techniques. He is directly employable with least possible training. Thus a Trained Fresher will be superior to the regular campus recruit and will give the companies the advantage they require.
The company does not require providing its training after employing a “Trained Fresher”, it can directly assign the project to them.
1. Students increase their employability & thus increase placement opportunities
2. Companies save their time, money & resources by hiring high-quality “Trained Fresher”
What are the technologies over which companies generally hire “Trained Fresher?”
The companies hire “Trained Fresher” at various points of time across the year, where sometimes openings arise every month or every weekend. This is quite common in server end technologies like IBM-Mainframes and AS400 but is more or less equally true for Java, Testing or .Net & other programming languages
What are Mainframe / AS400 servers?
Mainframes are large and 'expensive' computers used mainly by government enterprises like railways, telecom, power, IT and large companies for mission critical applications, typically bulk data processing such as censuses, industry/consumer statistics, ERP, and financial transaction processing.
IBM added Linux support to its System z mainframes. This gives System z users great flexibility and allows them to consolidate a variety of workloads. A typical use of Linux on a System z is to run, for example, a transaction processing application on the zSeries/Operating System (z/OS) and Web services applications on Linux side-by-side on the same machine. These are also termed as “Legacy Applications”
Mainframes & AS400 servers are used for high-end critical applications by all the big organizations
1. 70% of world’s crucial customer data is maintained on IBM Mainframe or AS/400 servers.
2. 98% fortune 500 companies work over IBM Mainframe or AS/400 servers
3. Large storage space, high processing speed, inbuilt database, virus & hacker resistant
What are the Job prospects or career growth in “Legacy Applications” (Mainframe or AS400)?
In spite of huge requirements in legacy applications, there is shortage of Mainframe / AS400 trained professionals. A large percentage of the people who work on Mainframe / AS400 are approaching retirement age. Some important points are:
1. Many jobs are predicted to open in the upcoming years.
2. Salary range for an entry-level position is over $50,000.
3. Patent opportunities & Opportunity to work with Fortune Companies
4. Handsome Package as a FRESHER
5. Stability and consistent growth in comparison to other lower-end technologies
6. 3, 50, 000 IT professionals required over Mainframes & RIM by 2013 ….............. NASSCOM
What are the various job profiles / career options available in Mainframes / AS400?
The opportunities in Mainframes / AS400 are enormous. Unlike other technologies, the candidates have various career options to choose in legacy applications. By learning a database, one can become Database admin or by learning a programming language, one can become a programmer or by doing testing, one can become a tester. In Mainframes / AS400 some of the following career options are available: -
Chief Information Officer
Production Control Specialist